- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Subcomponent: Password Reset (ext:backend)
- Release Date: May 12, 2020
- Vulnerability Type: Information Disclosure
- Affected Versions: 10.4.0-10.4.1
- Severity: Low
- Suggested CVSS v3.1:AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:L/I:N/A:N/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- References:CVE-2020-11063, CWE-204
It has been discovered that time-based attacks can be used with the password reset functionality for backend users. This allows an attacker to verify whether a backend user account with a given email address exists or not.
Update to TYPO3 version 10.4.2 that fixes the problem described.
Thanks to Michael Kasten who reported this issue and to TYPO3 merger Frank Nägler who fixed the issue.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.